Thursday, August 18, 2011

Update to Fort Edmonton, WWC, Fringe. . .

I have been asked to tell at Rosie's Bar and Grill (near Whyte Ave) for the 'Taste of the Festival' story cafe on September 1st. The stories run between 7 and 9 pm, but I recommend coming early to get a table and order some food. There is a cover charge of $6. MaryAnn Lippiatt and Serena Kaba will also be telling, plus there will either be one more teller or an open mike spot.

At the festival, the set I'm in will be at 1pm on Sunday. The story I'm telling, on both occasions, is 'The Fate of the Children of Lir,' one of the classic sorrowful tales of Ireland.

I don't think I will write another post about When Words Collide after all. I covered the top things I wanted to mention in the last post, and am not sure quite how to choose amongst what remains. I could write a long list of all the people it was great to see, but that wouldn't exactly be exciting to read! I did finish reading the three stories I mentioned from T15, and still feel really good about recommending them. (I have at least once before mentioned something I was really enjoying as I read it, and then come to a part I really wouldn't recommend. . .) I haven't read the other stories in the anthology yet, though. Instead I re-read 'The Stainless Steel Rat' after finding out that the book is 50 this year. It was one of the first science fiction books I ever owned, and is still a fun read, although I have a bit of a different perspective on it now.

I also spent a day at the Fringe Theatre Festival yesterday. I caught two really fun one-man shows, and got a chance to visit with Kirby Liknes, who is working there as a technician, and who wrote some lovely poetry for the Whittaker competition this year. She is also a fiction writer, although I haven't had a chance to read her work in that area yet. On Saturday night, I'm going to see ';(semicolon) the Musical.' I've already seen quite a few other shows by the talented young people who put this one together, but judging by the reviews they are getting, it sounds like they have really outdone themselves.

No comments: